A backbone – the GOD of HEALTH" – the naturopaths say, and it is in many respects correct. Neurologic implications of an osteochondrosis of a backbone - one of the most widespread diseases of a person.
For two decades of work as the neuropathologist I met the most various implications of an osteochondrosis, and always aspired not only to relieve the patient of a pain, but also in common to define the reason of an exacerbation and to develop a way of restoration of full health of a backbone.
Let's together try to UNDERSTAND to correctly OPERATE. For this purpose – first about the essence of an osteochondrosis.
The spine column forms series of flexures. In cervical department the backbone is bent forward (a cervical lordosis), in thoracal - bent back (a thoracal kyphosis) and in lumbar department again a flexure forward (a lumbar lordosis). These flexures are necessary for amortisation, a softening of jerks at walking and preservations of a brain from concussions and damages.
Mobility of vertebra is provided with joints and the ligaments which are between them. Each vertebra consists of a round or kidney-shaped body and an arch closing a vertebral foramen in which the spinal channel is - a receptacle for a spinal cord.
Between vertebra there are INTERVERTEBRAL DISKS which consist of the fibrous rings comprising a jelly-like kernel. The elastic consistence of a disk allows it to change the form, providing mobility, flexibility and elasticity of a backbone, ability to maintain considerable loads.
The OSTEOCHONDROSIS - is degenerate-dystrophic changes of an intervertebral disk, in result a jelly-like kernel is dehydrated, becomes non-fibrous and loses elasticity, and the fibrous ring becomes fragile. In some cases there is a disk hernia at which the fibrous ring is squeezed out and evaginates out of a body of a vertebra, squeezing nervous roots.
Neurologic implications of an osteochondrosis arise owing to a boring of the nervous terminations because of mechanical squeezing or inflammatory reaction of paravertebral tissues.
The range of implications of an osteochondrosis is extraordinary wide - from sensation of constant gravity in a head to the sharpest headache with vomiting and giddiness, from discomfort in a back to a sharp pain in the field of heart or in a stomach, from a numbness of finger-tips of arms and feet to a breaking backache and a thorax pain at the slightest movement.
The reasons of occurrence of an osteochondrosis:
· Age deterioration of a nutrition of intervertebral disk tissues
· Chronic traumas, a wrong posture, a backbone overload
· Genetic predisposition, anomalies of development
· The autoimmune theory of an osteochondrosis origin
· The supercooling and an inactive way of life
For a complete control over the osteochondrosis it is necessary:
1.Regularly to develop flexibility of a backbone in all directions – extensive bending, unbending, inclinations. «While the backbone is flexible - a body is young!»
2. To develop force of muscles-extensors of a back.. All of them are attached to acanthas of vertebra, and at their maintenance in a good tonus the pressure upon intervertebral disks reduces and probability of a backache occurrence is weakened.
3. To form a muscular corset, and necessity and its value are enlarged in the course of time, as age changes in disks weaken stability of vertebra, and occurrence of pathological mobility between them is possible. In this case well developed paravertebral muscles play a role of the stabilizer of a backbone.
4. To stimulate blood supply and a metabolism in intervertebral disks.For this purpose various kinds of grindings, massage, heating and stretching well serve.
5. Do not forget to feed well the backbone with biologically active additives. Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, vitamin D are especially necessary for a backbone. For example, periodically take the preparations containing a glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate.